- 0 – Miles Run Today
- 5.85 – Miles Run 2/1
- 10.0 – Miles Run 2/3
- 146.44 – Miles Run 2013
- $400.00 – $ Raised 2013
- 20 – Alzheimer’s Patients/Care Givers Honored
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your continued support emotionally and through donations to fund Alzheimer’s research means so much to me! Thanks to the Scudder Family, my grandkitten Jackson (through darling daughter Elizabeth Waite?) and my Anonymous donor for your contributions!
Yesterday was the last race before the Austin Marathon on February 17th. The Too Cold to Hold 10 Mile lived up to its name as it was nearly freezing when we left the house to drive to beautiful White Rock Lake in Dallas. Thank goodness for La Madeleine’s for providing hot chocolate while we were waiting to start! The weather warmed up nicely so Ashley and I had a wonderful run. See below for a picture at the finish line with all the purple, white and green ribbons. I was very fashionable!
Ashley and I talked during the race about how far we had come in the past year as we were actually enjoying a ten mile run. Let me share with you some of the memories that have lead to this 2013 journey to 1000 miles:
- March 2012: Firefly Run 5K with wife, Kathryn and daughter, Ashley – Had to walk the entire race due to a leg injury but the family helped me through it. A beautiful night and so much fun that I got hooked!
- June 2012: Wounded Warrior 10K with Ashley – The world was upside down as my triathlete daughter, Christina, was on the sidelines cheering us on instead of running. It was very inspirational to see our amazing service men and women running with all their gear. Thank you to Ryan McCoy for his recent service and to Trenton Rath who is currently deployed.
- July 2012: Too Hot to Handle 15K with Christina – My first run at White Rock Lake and it was a beautiful course. Christina was so sweet to come back to run the last mile with me after she had already finished. The funniest part was that they ran out of Slurpees right after I finished. Hence, the saying – Run Faster – was born.
- August 2012: Melon Dash 5K with Ashley – Hot, miserable day and hardest run all year for some reason. The beneficiary was the North Texas Cat Rescue where we got our kittens Mookie and Tippy and our grandkitten Jackson!
- September 2012: Plano Balloon Festival Half Marathon with Ashley (5K) – Oh my goodness….I was so tired and whiny when this was over! There was a wonderful food tent provided for the runners but only two pieces of bacon and a bran muffin were left when I finished – note to self – Run Faster! And I will always remember my angel wife finding me a COLD iced tea when the one I got was warm….like I said…I was very whiny!!
- October 2012: Sea World San Antonio Run for the Fund 10K with Ashley – Ran six plus miles in the morning then played the day at Sea World. How could it get better? That’s right….Ashley was the winner for her age group…such a champion!!
- October 2012: Vampire Run 5K with Ashley – I never thought I would run three miles in a PacMan costume with Pinky the Ghost running beside me….but then again life is full of surprises!
- November 2012: Believe 2012! 10K – My first run in freezing temperatures but it started/finished a block from my house and the course covered many of the areas where I train. No place like home!
- December 2012: Dallas Half Marathon with Ashley – Such a special day to run with Ashley as she completed her first half marathon! I was so proud of her and we got to run on the Margaret Hunt Hill suspension bridge! My other random memory of the day was sharing fried raviolis from the food truck afterwards….so good…
- January 2012: New Year’s Double Half Marathon with Christina and Ashley – A cold and rainy day to start the year and my 1000 Miles of Memories journey. I do love to run with my girls, however….they inspire me. I did learn a lesson on this day, however. Never try to outsprint someone thirty eight years younger than you to the finish line….it cannot end well!!
Thank you for allowing me to remember the past year from a running perspective. I am so blessed to have such a supporting family that has lets me spend the time and energy necessary to keep moving forward. And thanks to all of you for joining me and lifting me up in 2013!
Make it a memorable day!
Consider making a donation for Alzheimer’s research at http://www.crowdrise.com/1000milesofmemories/